Saturday, January 28, 2006

Give em' hell, Charlie

I love good writing. I occasionally link to some of it here, and with a few decades of dilligent practice, I might even crank out a sentence or two that would impress me. And I read lots of writing. I think Eric Alterman is good, Anna Quindlen is really good, Paul Krugman doesn't really have the magic touch with language but he can make a point with the best of them.

For those of you (and I mean both of you) who are waiting for some reference to right leaning writing, I'd toss out George Will but a big vocabulary and access to some steroid enhanced Roget's Thesaurus does not make for good writing. It makes for pompous blather.

Anyway, that's a rather long winded way of getting to the point: To my way of thinking, Charles Pierce is the funniest, wittiest, most on point writer published today. Period. Here's his review of the new Carville/Begala book, which he shreds in the most entertaining way. A few examples to convicne you to click on the link:

Glorioski, Don Imus. Populist media. I mean, there's triangulation and there's triangulation, and then there's Pythagoras on crystal meth.

and...

Begala righteously -- and rightfully -- goes up the wall citing, among other things, the fact that his eldest son is named John Paul, after the late pope. (Good thing for the kid, too, that he was born recently. In another era, he might be named Urban Gelasius Begala.)

There's much more that's too lengthy to excerpt here, but not only is it absolutely entertaining - as Pierce always is - it's absolutely on point. More on that later.

Read it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home