Friday, January 20, 2006

A Wall I Must Climb

For the moment, it seems the best source of music for me is CD's my sister gave me for Christmas over the years that I never listened to until the last few months. In the player at this moment (and with not bad sound on this Dell machine with an add on single speaker) is a collection from WXRT radio in Chicago from around 1993.

It's a collection of live performances from their sponsored shows and it's got some gems. There's everything from Midnight Oil and John Lee Hooker to The Replacments and Melissa Etheridge. Some of it I've heard before, but there are a couple songs on there that have just stayed with me. The first is A Wall I Must Climb by Michael McDermott. Based on some quick internet sleuthing, he's primarily a Chicago guy and this was his big song10 or 15 years ago. The next Springsteen, they said.

Of course, no one's the next Springsteen. And Springsteen wasn't the next Dylan and Dylan wasn't the next Woody Guthrie (not that anyone but Dylan ever said that or even thought it).

But if you're in the mood for a little soul searching it's a nice accompaniment to the quest. In the end, it turns out that we're all our own wall to climb.

The other song that I just love is Digruntled Postal Worker by Peter Himmelman. I have no idea whether it's true, but either way it's an interesting look at that whole phenomena. Plus it's hard to resist the catchy chorus.

Happy climbing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home